I've decided to do "Comic Gushes" instead of series reviews, because it's way more fun to recommend things I'm totally in love with.
Let me start out by saying I adore a lot of things Image Comics is doing. Saga, Rat Queens, and now Monstress are among my all-time top favorite comics (the other one being The Sandman, from Vertigo).
From the Image website: "In Monstress, steampunk meets Kaiju in an alternate 1900s Asia, where a teenage girl named Maika begins to unravel her mysterious past, and in the process discovers a psychic connection to a powerful otherworldly creature, one of many that roam the earth—a connection that will transform them both, and make them the target of both human and otherworldly powers..."
If that doesn't at least sound intriguing to you, I don't know what to tell you!
Sana Takeda's artwork is breathtakingly beautiful, from the raw emotion on Maika's face to the rich backgrounds. Majorie Liu's writing builds this magical world with just the right blend of overt worldbuilding and continuing mystery to make me crave more. Together, I'm pretty sure these two are going to be unstoppable.
- Gorgeous artwork and intriguing writing
- A WoC amputee protagonist and mainly PoC cast
- A triple-sized first issue!
- Characters I'm already seriously invested in
- Unique, beautiful character designs
- I need more right now
- A little NSFW--tasteful nudity, blood/violence, mention of cannibalism, etc. (aka, it might be trigger-heavy for some)
Monstress #1 is now available from Image Comics. Pick up your copy today!